In a bid to help cultivate the next generation of anchor companies, Startup Mzansi Foundation will be touring South Africa to provide on-site inspiration, mentorship, training and new opportunities to thousands of entrepreneurs and startup creators as they start and grow their companies.
Debuting as the #StartItUp Campaign, the tour will run between May and September 2017. This 5 month cross–province tour will be a national community-building exercise; to kickstart a national conversation about how we can better support young entrepreneurs and cultivate an entrepreneurial culture. The campaign will bring together young people and partners through events fuelled by volunteers.
Registration includes a full day of non-stop action with an “un-conference” style program where entrepreneurs and startup creators will hear from top entrepreneurs and prominent business people.
Entrepreneurs can also participate in bootcamp-style training sessions in areas such as finance and taxation, scaling, marketing and going global. Experts will also be on hand for one-on-one mentorship and support, and organisations that provide training, funding, and other opportunities to entrepreneurs will also be available to connect entrepreneurs to a wider support network
Partners for the campaign are to include SARS, CIPC, SEDA, SEFA, DSBD, NYDA, IDC, NEF, ZADNA as well as local government agencies and Departments.
During the year, Startup Mzansi Foundation will focus on convening the South African entrepreneurship community and putting the national spotlight on entrepreneurs and startup creators in South Africa through a National Tour and Media Campaign.
In doing so, Startup Mzansi Foundation will work to:
• promote a more vibrant entrepreneurial and startup culture;
• support the development of strong entrepreneurial communities; and,
• create a strong brand for South African entrepreneurs at home and abroad.
The Startup Mzansi National Tour will consist of:
• town Halls engaging more than 60,000 South Africans to collectively develop entrepreneurship action plans
• provincial launches with Premiers and Ministers
• training, keynote and mentorship events
• open houses wherein incubators, accelerators and research parks will open their facilities to the public for tours and workshops
• online community building through live-streamed events, a collaborative ideasWiki, a Speakers Corner video blog, and active presence on social media tools like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
As Startup Mzansi tours the country, it will engage the national entrepreneurship community through a variety of media channels (particularly its already in existence tri-media programme, viz., Startup Magazine, Startup TV and Startup FM) and bring the national spotlight to each province. The Startup Mzansi Foundation will work with the community to highlight best practices and community strengths; cover key issues and stories; and, showcase and celebrate entrepreneurs across the province.
Below is a summary of the expected outputs and activities of the campaign:
• 200 events fueled by volunteers and partners
• 100 000+ participants (physical)
• 1 Million+ potential reach (online)
• 40 South African communities
• 300+ partners & sponsors
• 5000+ video interviews for StartupTV
• 10 000+ entrepreneurship articles for Startup Magazine
• 3 Startup Bootcamps through the Startup Institute
• Daily, Weekly and Monthly Startup updates
• 22 Startup Podcasts and Episodes for StartupFM
• 11 Startup Pitch Nights
• 5 Startup Parties
• 1 Online Pitch Competition (#JustPitch)
• Startup 101 Classes & Workshops
• 500+ hours of consulting
• 1 National Startup Day to be held in October 2017
• 1 National Startup Assembly & Awards Ceremony to be held in Parliament in November 2017
Proposed Tour Dates
May 1 – 27 Gauteng
May 1 – 5 Ekurhuleni
May 8 – 12 Tshwane
May 15 – 19 Vaal
May 22 – 27 Joburg
Startup Party – May 27
Jun 1 – 28KwaZulu Natal
Jun 1 – 5 Durban Central
Jun 8 – 12 Port Shepstone
Jun 15 – 19 Richardsbay
Startup Party – Jun 30
July 1 – 15Mpumalanga
July 3 – 5 Ermelo
July 7 – 9 Witbank
July 10 – 12 Nkomazi
July 13 – 17 Nelspruit
Startup Party – July 15
July 19 – 21 Limpopo
July 31 – Aug 4 North West
Aug 6 – 11Free State
Startup Party – Aug 12
Aug 14 – 18Eastern Cape
Sept 3 – 15Northern Cape
Sept 18 – 23Western Cape
Startup Party – 23 Sept
Post Tour Events
Oct National Startup Day (National, virtual)
National Startup Challenge (National, virtual)
NovNational Startup Assembly & Award Ceremony
(Parliament of RSA, Cape Town